1. You want to be treated like a person: When you are not feeling well, going to the doctor's office can be a scary and vulnerable experience. Most Naturopathic Doctors strive to create a comfortable and healing environment. You will not be treated like just a number or an inconvenience. Most Naturopathic doctors prefer to build relationships with their patients, based on sincere caring and mutual respect.
2. You want more time with your doctor: When you have an appointment with a Naturopathic Doctor they will take the time to get to know you, to address all of your concerns and answer all of your questions. Most initial appointments are scheduled for one full hour with the physician and follow up appointments are usually 30 minutes. This ensures thorough medical care and not just symptom management.
3. You want a doctor who understands the role of diet in health and disease: Many times people suspect that what they are eating is effecting how they feel but their medical doctors offer little guidance or deny any association. What you eat and put into your body every day has a direct effect on your health. Naturopathic doctors have extensive training in clinical nutrition. Whether it is optimizing nutrition, identifying hidden food allergies, or modifying diet for weight or specific health concerns, Naturopathic Doctors can offer comprehensive dietary recommendations that are tailored to your individual needs.
4. You're sick of taking drugs to manage your symptoms: Prescription drugs often deal with symptoms but rarely address the cause of the problem. What happens next is that people end up on medications for each symptom/each part of the body and then additional medications for the side effects of the medications. Naturopathic physicians focus on identifying and treating the cause of disease rather than the symptoms, so the body can actually begin to heal. In so doing, people not only feel better, they actually get better.
5. You want medical expertise on which supplements to take: Many people self treat. They go to the health food store and buy remedies that may or may not be safe or effective for their condition. It can also be overwhelming to sort through all of the options available these days. When you work with a Naturopathic doctor you are receiving a physician's level expertise in science and natural therapies. This assures that the supplements taken are specific to your body's needs and in the proper dosage. This can also save you a lot of money from purchasing poor quality products that won't actually benefit you.
6. You prefer to do things the natural way: You already pay attention to eating healthy organic foods, using eco-friendly products, you prefer living more natural lifestyle. Why should your healthcare be any different? It is possible to be properly evaluated and treated without having to put anything toxic in your body or compromise your philosophy.
7. You've done everything your MD suggests but you still don't feel well: Often there are instances where conventional medicine has failed or has limited treatment options. This is common when treating patients suffering from fatigue, anxiety, migraines and other pain conditions, just to name a few. Naturopathic doctors can offer alternative options in these cases that can work with or in lieu of conventional medicine to help the body heal. Its time to put aside the pharmaceutical based protocols and find out what you need to feel like yourself again.
8. Your appointments are often covered by health insurance: Most people think that naturopathic medicine is expensive. The cost of naturopathic care is actually quite low compared to surgery, loss of work due to illness/injury and other extreme interventions that can be avoided with prevention or correcting the problem. Additionally, more private healthcare plans are covering naturopathic services. Depending on your insurance plan you can have your visits and any subsequent testing covered.
9. You want to prevent genetic diseases: Preventing illness or early detection and interventions are much easier and more cost effective than waiting to treat the disease. There are many approaches to preventing diseases that do not include drugs or surgery. With advances in genetic testing many people are becoming fearful about illnesses they are predisposed to. Naturopathic doctors can help navigate genetic predispositions and work with your specific needs to optimize your health to avoid repeating the “family histories” of illness.
10. You want medicine that doesn't come with side effects: Just because it's natural doesn't mean its safe. However when natural therapies are prescribed properly there is very little risk of side effects because they are geared toward correcting a problem not forcing the body to shut off symptoms. Conversely, there is not a single prescription or over the counter drug that does not come with a list of potential side effects. Often times they can be worse than the initial problem. Many times it's not worth the risk but you don't know what else to do. Its time to consult with a Naturopathic doctor to find out what your other options are.